New weight reduction medication, reminiscent of Novo Nordisk’s Ozempic and Wegovy (semaglutide) and Eli Lilly’s Mounjaro (tirzepatide), may well be transformative for individuals who combat with weight problems and obesity-related scientific stipulations, however there are main inquiries to imagine associated with insurance plans, the price of the medication, and who has get right of entry to.
Importantly, through regulation, the medication can’t be coated through Medicare for weight reduction and are ceaselessly coated now through personal insurers in restricted instances. Producers of the medication are lobbying for extensive protection through Medicare and different payers.
On August 4, 3 professionals joined Larry Levitt, govt vice chairman for well being coverage at KFF, for a 45-minute “Well being Wonk Store” dialogue in regards to the questions surrounding what a brand new technology of weight reduction medication approach for sufferers and payers:
- Who may just receive advantages maximum from the brand new weight reduction medication, and what are the obstacles to having access to them?
- What will be the affect of Congress overturning the prohibition on Medicare protecting weight reduction medication?
- How are employers and insurers coming near protection of the medication given the possibly considerable prices concerned?
- What are the wider implications of the brand new medication for U.S. weight problems charges and for nationwide well being spending, together with on obesity-related well being stipulations?
- Larry Levitt, Govt Vice President for Well being Coverage, KFF
- Juliette Cubanski, PhD, Deputy Director, Program on Medicare Coverage at KFF
- Shauna Levy, MD, MS, Assistant Professor, Department of MIS/Bariatric Surgical procedure, Tulane College College of Medication
- Michael Manolakis, PharmD, PhD, Senior Vice President, Pharmacy, Aon
KFF’s digital Health Wonk Shop sequence options in-depth coverage discussions with professionals that transcend the scoop headlines to offer higher insights.